Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feastday of Our Lady of Lourdes


Today we commemorate the feastday of Our Lady of Lourdes.

In anticipation of this beautiful Marian feastday, we watched Song of Bernadette last weekend, an excellent movie about this apparition of Our Lady to St Bernadette (Soubirous) in 1858. I am ashamed to say I could only keep awake for about 3/4 of the movie (it went for 2 1/2 hours!! Yes, I promised myself and the kids that I'd watch the end of it, maybe even tonight.), but I received reports from hubby the next day that the kiddos remained absorbed until the very end of the story!

Today the children enjoyed drawing and colouring in beautiful pictures of Our Lady of Lourdes and her humble French visionary, St Bernadette, because they are reminded of the story, as manifested by bits of conversation overheard during their colouring session. :)

A nice and simple craft project we worked on was a little grotto (see above feature photo) that we made out of a shoe box, laminated printed pictures, and some foam cups. Using some scrunched up scrap paper stuck to the box, we created the "rocky" effect for the niche - inside and out, painting it with rich hues of greys, browns and olives which our little artists thoroughly enjoyed.

I am still kicking myself, however, for not being better prepared at school this afternoon that made us miss out on Mass. For some reason, I simply lost track of time! Chad and I were finishing off our last session for the day when I looked at the clock to see that it was 5:15 pm!! And we were hoping to get to the 5:30 Mass. Not to disappoint the kiddies, and of course to anchor our celebration on a more substantial devotion (i.e. Eucharistic), we decided to go to our Lord exposed at the Perpetual Adoration Chapel instead. Yes, that was the next best thing (to attending Mass)..
So this is basically how Our Lady's special feastday panned out for us.

Drawing and colouring session:
Raw materials for "Our Lady of Lourdes" craft project:
Painting the niche:
Finished product:
Cleaning up afterwards:
"Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us!"


0 comments: